The Penshaw Monument, officially known as The Earl of Durham’s Monument, was built in 1844 on a prominent hill outside Sunderland. The Doric tetrastyle monument is 30 meters (98 ft) long, 16 meters (52 ft) wide, and 20 meters (66 ft) high. The columns are each 2 meters (6 ft 7 in) in diameter.
The monument was designed by John and Benjamin Green and built by Thomas Pratt of Sunderland and was acquired by The National Trust in 1939.
The old failed and damaged metal halide floodlights that had been lighting the monument were ready for renewal, so in partnership with the city council and PFI contractor and following extensive trials, the Color Kinetics ColorReach Compact Powercore luminaires were selected as a replacement. A blacksmith manufactured special housings locally. The lighting scheme is controlled by a Pharos LPC1 and is part of the strategic lighting upgrade.