The Green Power of LED Lighting
- LEDs will save Americans $280 billion in energy costs over the next 20 years, and no other lighting technology offers as much potential to enhance the quality of our building environments.
- If LED lighting achieves projected price and performance targets, 3.75 quadrillion BTUs of primary energy (348 TWh) could be saved by 2027.
- This is equal to the average annual per capita energy consumption of 10.9 million people in the U.S. It is also equal to 626 million barrels of oil, or about 60 days of imported oil to the U.S.
- By 2027, LED lighting could displace conventional sources like incandescent and fluorescent, decreasing national energy consumption for lighting by 33 percent.
- More than forty 1000 MW power plants could be deferred, contributing to a cleaner environment and a more reliable electrical transmission and distribution system.